By: Trent Soares
Benefits of Bone Broth
As you may know, I was born and raised on the islands and was transplanted here to play baseball in 2009. Well, Nevada has a ton of germs that I wasn’t accustomed to and I got sick a lot. I just delt with it. At the beginning of this year, after my wife was sick of me being sick, I got my tonsils out. This helped, but my wife was determined to “heal me” so I wasn’t sick with colds all the time.
Whenever you’re sick, the old wife’s tale is to eat chicken noodle soup – well I believe our ancestors were on to something! It really is healing. At the start of this year, my wife started making bone broth. It’s really not as disgusting as it sounds and I began drinking it and really seeing the benefits in my life. Today I will describe to you what bone broth is and why it is beneficial. Stay tuned for my next post in which I will give you the recipe that she adapted from one of her cookbooks to make some bomb.com broth as well as some ways she has incorporated broth into our daily lives.
What is bone broth?
Bone broth is made from simmering the bones and connective tissues of animals – we have tried both beef and chicken bones, however you can make bone broth from any animal – pork, turkey, lamb, buffalo or fish. Make sure that your bones are from a quality source and if your budget allows, is organic and grass fed. The difference between regular broth and stock is bone broth is cooked for an excess amount of time in order to remove as many minerals and nutrients as possible from the bones.
My Favorite Benefits of Bone Broth
- Immune health
- We are learning how a huge portion of one’s immune system is actually inside your gut (Fields, 2015). Broth is high in gelatin and collagen which help support gut health while reducing inflammation (Wellness Momma, 2018).
- Bone broth is comprised of multiple amino acids.Amino acids such as cystine, histidine, and glycine are thought to reduce inflammation in the body, mainly intestines which are tough to reach
- Improves Joints and Bones
- Calcium, magnesiumand phosphorus are the main protein found in bones, tendons and ligaments which is also found in bone broth. This process can help stimulate muscle protein synthesis. (Hay, L. 2018)
- Beauty benefits
- Well, my hair and nails are fine however I thought I would throw this fact in there for you ladies who may be struggling. Bone broth contains amino acids which are needed for collagen production. Collagen is important for the health of skin, hair and nails. It also contains glucosamine and other compounds which are help with joint health (Wellness Momma, 2018).
– Fields, H. 2015. The gut: Where bacteria and immune system meet. (https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/research/advancements-in-research/fundamentals/in-depth/the-gut-where-bacteria-and-immune-system-meet)
– Wellness Momma. 2018. Bone broth benefits for health. (https://wellnessmama.com/23777/bone-broth-benefits/)
– Hay, L. (n.d). 18 Amazing health benefits of bone broth.( https://www.louisehay.com/18-amazing-health-benefits-bone-broth/)