By: Kris Thompson
If you’ve been doing CrossFit for a while now you might have noticed your hands getting calluses and you might’ve ripped or torn your hands before.
Here’s some tips and products I like to use to keep my hands feeling good and less likely to tear.
– Shave down your calluses: Use something like a callus shaver or a WODROD (which I prefer) to keep your calluses small. I like using a WODROD because it allows me to control how much I’m taking off and it’s pretty quick.
– Condition your calluses: I like using Dermalicious Callus Quench to keep them soft and supple.
– Use grips to protect your hands and have a barrier between you and the bar, my favorite are the Bear Komplex Comp Grips.
– When wearing these grips make sure you create a little “lip” with them to give more space between your hand and the bar.
Uh oh! I ripped!
When a rip occurs I go through the following steps to start the healing process:
- wash your hands (this is going to hurt… You have been warned!)
- cut away any hanging skin
- use the callus quench cap to scrap some product off the top and pack it onto the raw skin
- cover with a band-aid during the day and let it air dry while I’m sleeping
- repeat until healed
All products mentioned in this blog are available for purchase from the retail areas at both of our locations. Hope this becomes a part of your hand care routine!
2018 11 13