BY: Tammy Hamilton
Eating healthy can be expensive if you don’t plan ahead. Here are my tips on how to eat healthy on a budget:
1. Set a weekly grocery budget amount and stick to it.
2. Check weekly ads from different grocery stores to see what is on sale. It might take you more time to travel to a few different stores but you could save quite a bit of money (some stores will even price match so you don’t have to go to another one). You can also find a lot of coupons online that will save you money. And there are also bulk fruit markets that sell large boxes of fruit that could be split with several different people.
3. Make a list and stick to it. Don’t be tempted to add anything else to your cart that you didn’t plan on buying beforehand.
4. You can save money by buying fruits and/or vegetables frozen. If the vegetables or fruits you planned on buying are not in season, frozen might be a better option.
5. If you see a really good deal on meat at the store, buy several packages and freeze them. This might put you over weekly budget but you can subtract it from your next week’s budget since you will be likely eating it then.
6. Prepare your food ahead of time. Designate a day or two in the week to prepare your meals. Not only will it be easier to stay on track, but your foods will be less likely to spoil in your fridge.