By: Tammy Hamilton
‘Tis the season for holiday festivities! Buttered turkey, glazed ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, delicious appetizers, eggnog, holiday cookies, fudge, apple pie! It’s easy to see why the average person gains about a pound over the holidays. You don’t have to be part of that statistic! Here are 6 tips to help you stay fit during holiday parties all while enjoying yourself.
1. Don’t go hungry! Skipping meals throughout the day because you know you will be indulging will dramatically increase your cravings and you will end up consuming more calories than if you had eaten several healthy meals throughout the day. Try to eat as healthy as possible the rest of the day and you’ll feel better about treating yourself.
2. For every alcoholic beverage drink one glass of water. Not only will this help with a potential hangover but you will consume substantially less ‘liquid’ calories. Also, stick to alcoholic beverages such as wine, vodka with club soda or tequila and stay away from sugary mixers and dark alcohol.
3. Choose Wisely. Don’t load your plate up with all of your favorite foods first. Load most of your plate with healthy foods such as veggies from a veggie tray or hummus and save a little room on your plate for only your favorite things that you really enjoy. If you don’t love it, leave it!
4. Control portion sizes. Use a smaller plate to trick your brain into thinking you are eating more food and load up on meats and veggies. Foods that are higher in healthy fats such as meats, nuts, olive oil and avocados will make you feel full longer.
5. Get a good workout in. Not only will you get to hang out with your friends and your really cool, fun coaches 😉 but lifting weights can help deplete the glycogen stores in your muscles which in turn can allow you to consume a higher amount of carbohydrates without having them turn into fat. Plus you’ll look and feel your best!
6. Most importantly – HAVE FUN!! Enjoy this time and be present with your friends and family. Don’t feel guilty about treating yourself. Indulge! Just don’t overindulge. Give yourself permission to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation and get back on track the next day.